Kamogawa Historic Trailgo to Japanese site‚¨–â‚¢‡‚킹

ƒGƒŠƒAƒ}ƒbƒv
’·‹·Œ|p‚̏¬Œa

1. Yakuoin Temple@
–ò‰¤‰@ Visitors are welcomed by a group of Kongoukai Dainichi Nyorai stone statues when they go up the cedar-surrounded path. Ahead of that, there is the pyramidal-roofed Yakushido hall, which was built in 1648. It is becoming quite damaged, but it still is a tranquil temple which strongly represents the style of temples built in the medieval times. In the main hall, there are the fan light sculptures (dragon & tiger image) and the kohai-ryu (flying dragon) created by Takeshi Ihachi the First when he was 29 years old.

2. Rengeji Temple
˜@‰ØŽ› Nichiren was exiled to Izu in 1261 because he criticised the Kamakura government's policies by in his publication "Rissho-Ankoku ron", but returned to Kamakura in 1263 when he was forgiven, and went back home to Kamogawa hearing the news of his mother's illness. Rengeji Temple was where he stayed then. In 1264, he met the Religious Oppression of Komatsubara on his way from Rengeji Temple to Amatsu at the invitation of Kudo Yoshitaka. "Kizuarai", where Nichiren cleaned his wound he received then, remains in Tamonji Temple, Nichirenji Temple and Rengeji Temple. Rengeji at the time was spread to the west of "Kizuarai".

3. Konjoin Temple@
‹àæ‰@ Possibly because Konjoin Temple is next (or opposite?) to Takeshi Ihachi's house, it stores many of Ihachi's works. When visitors walk up the stairs, they are greeted by a sculpture of sea waves (the Fourth & Fifth) - as if to display his trademark "Ihachi of Waves" - that decorates the entire Niou Gate. In the Dainichi Hall, visitors can see the kohai-ryu (flying dragon) and the fan light sculpture (images of shusen), which Ihachi the First curved when he was 28 years old.

4. The Ihachi's House Ruins@
ˆÉ”ª‰®•~Õ In 2005, a part of the remains of Takeshi Ihachi's manor was leveled and became a cemetery. A Kuyomon emblem is engraved on the Takeshi family's tombstone that was built there. It is notable that, even though he was an apprentice of Shimamura-style sculptor Shimamura Teiryo, he called himself Takeshi Ihachi right from the beginning and never carried the "Shimamura" name. By a fairly recent survey, it is considered that the fact that he was a descendant of the Takeshi family, a member of the Chiba clan, became the possible reason why he called himself Takeshi from the beginning.

5. Saifukuji Temple@
¼•ŸŽ› In Kamogawa, there are many temples with traces of the primary school construction period during the Meiji era. Saifukuji Temple was also a substitute school building for Takehira Primary School. Koizumi Chikashi, a poet, left a Teacher Training School in 1901 and was employed by this Takehira Primary School at the age of 16. Here, Koizumi Chikashi wrote many poems while struggling with romantic dilemmas. Visitors can also see fan light sculptures - Nami ni Ryu (Dragon Among Waves) and Shichifukujin (The Seven Gods of Good Fortune) - by Ihachi the First when he was young.

6. Jizoin Temple@
’n‘ ‰@ The home where Koizumi Chikashi was born is 7km from Takehira Primary School. At first, he walked this distance to work, but soon after moved into Jizoin Temple to room which is 1km from the school. However, as the resident priest died from an illness, he moved into one of the rooms in Saifukuji Temple. The poem, "Monnamino mineokayamano yakuruhino koyohimoakaku Mienikerukamo," (In the south, the burning fire of Mineokayama may well look red tonight, too), Chikashi's best known work, is likely to have been written while he was staying at Jizoin temple or Saifukuji temple.

7. Sukisaiden Paddy-field Site@
ŽåŠîÖ“cÕ In November 1871, a Daijo Festival (the first festival after the crowning of a new emperor) was held in Fukiagegyoen. At that time, 6 tanbu (about 5,950m2) of the block of Kitakomatchinaka were claimed as Saiden (the paddy-field) from which to harvest fresh crops to offer to the Sukiden. The claimed field was treated securely, with a sacred straw festoon and hedge surrounding it as well as being guarded by two officials from the Hanabusa Domain in the watch-house. It is told that rice harvesting in Nukiho-style was done with the workers dressed in haori and hakama (kimono-like formal attire). In the 1915 Taisho Emperor Reign Ceremony, the Saiden site and the area around it were land filled and the Saidenshi Park was made.

8. Kippohachimanjinja Shrine
‹g•Û”ª”¦_ŽÐ Currently, the only place where the Yabusame ritual is still continued is Kippohachiman, but in the early Showa Era, it took place in 5 places. In the shrine records, it is told that the shrine was built in 829, was rebuilt in about 1445 by the Satomi clan's follower Ogata Shigetsugu and the Yabusame ritual originated in the mid-Kamakura Period. Kippohachiman's main shrine is a distinctive style, surrounded by a lake like an island, and there is a kohai-ryu (flying dragon) sculpture made by Ihachi the First.